Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Make Your Own Glittery Starbursts

Yesterday, my mom, the girls and I made our annual visit to Wight's Wonderland of Christmas. Wight's Home and Garden is a local nursery that is full of Christmas inspiration. For me, the Christmas season wouldn't be complete without a trip to Wight's...
I forgot to bring my camera with and I'm sorry about that cuz, I would have loved to share how pretty it is there.
I bought a couple little ornaments that I'll be using on the table I'm decorating for our church smorgasbord.
I also came across some super sparkly star burst like ornaments that I thought would make wonderful space fillers on a tree. My mom took one look and said she made a whole bunch like them back in the early 60's when my parents were first married. Well, I decided to make a few in my favorite colors instead of buying the red ones which was all they had....
I had the girls help me with the project. They are always more than happy to oblige. We started out with a 1" styrofoam ball and began poking round toothpicks (which we dipped one end in glue) into the ball.
I think we used approximately 19-20 toothpicks for each one. I think they would be even better if we would have used more tooth picks. I just ran out...
Next thing I did was spray paint them my favorite pastel Christmas colors.
Then came the fun part of glittering! Isn't glitter the best? My kitchen floor has never sparkled so much. hehe Anyways, I painted on mod podge and then sprinkled the glitter. I got tired of trying to paint on the glue that I ended up using spray adhesive instead. That was much faster!
All done...
I can't wait to put them on my vintage silver tinsel tree or add them to my tablescape, maybe just put them in a silver bowl. The possibilities are endless...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are super cute and cool ornaments! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the tutorial! They looked so intimidating from the photo, but the tute makes them seem really easy to make! Awesome!

LiLi M. said...

Great idea! I have never seen them before. Btw your girls look too cute in their chenille vests, those will be a hit at the auction. Good luck over there and thanks for the tutorial!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I just love this. This is beautiful! I love your little houses too....wow
Debbie

Miss Gracie's House said...

WOW!! Those look simple but elegant-I'll have to try them-THANKS for sharing!
Rene'

Alison Gibbs said...

They look fabulous
Alison