Tuesday, January 27, 2009

52Q Journal Challenge

I decided to try something new this year.
I have never kept a journal and never have learned how to do mixed media or altered art or scrapbooking for that matter... but, after coming across the blog Life=Art I decided to join in her 52Q mini art journal challenge.
Each week she presents a question and we're to create a mini card and answer.
I thought this would be a fun way for me to ease into keeping a journal and to create something simple each week. I encourage you to join in the fun too!
Last weeks question was "Do you believe in fairies?" it got me thinking about one of my most favorite stories ever, The Story of the Soap Boat, out of the book "Stories From A Magic World" published in 1933.
It is the sweetest story of Dickey Byrd who is a wonderful pretender and is visited at night by the tiniest fairy who wants to go for a ride in a boat. Dickey Byrd's real boat is broken but he has a soap boat which really isn't a boat at all, just a cake of soap with a paper sail that he plays with when he takes a bath. (Oh, and the soap boat is pink by the way - gotta love that!) The two of them have a magical adventure on the soap boat. It really is a lovely story. My girls love it too. The illustration of the soap boat was done by Gustaf Tenggren. I could look and this picture and daydream for hours...
and yes, I do believe in fairies. ;o)

5 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What a wonderful idea. I don't think I'd have the courage to tackle a 'full on' art journal; either.
Fairies???? Of course I believe in fairies - they are at the bottom of my garden - just playing!!
Alison

LiLi M. said...

I love your cards! I can see a little corner of a former one too. What a great idea! And your story is beautiful and those pictures too, they tickle your imagination. I see if I can find that book too. I'm off to check that blog! Thanks for inspiration. Btw I'm having a owoh give away on my blog, somewhere I lost control, so I don't know whether you have entered yet, but I would like you to know that you are most welcome to do so!

Miss Gracie's House said...

It looks like a delightful book.
I'm just venturing into altered art, too...soo much inspiration here in blogland. Your tag turned out really cute!
Rene'

Unknown said...

Oh yes I do believe in fairies! Please stop by my blog I have an award for you. Thanks, Esther

Marja Rijnsburger said...

I love your cards. There is so much beautiful inspiration on your blog.
have a creative weekend