Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dress Form Makeover

Update!
Thanks so much for all the interest in my scarf pictured on my dress form. It's definitely one of my most pinned pictures on Pinterest.
To answer a couple of the many questions I've received...
Yes, I made the scarf. I have been making and selling my ruffle rose scarves since the fall of 2009.
Sorry, I haven't shared a tutorial because I sell them.
Periodically, I do list a few here, in my Etsy shop.



Yay! I finished a project that's been on my "to do" list for a long time.

I've had this table top vintage dress form for some time now, and its been in desperate need of a makeover. Since it's made from a soft spongy foam material, it didn't paint well. I tried a long time ago. Can you tell? Ha! After painting failed. I decided to decoupage it with old magazine pages and finally took the time to do it, yesterday.
I gathered up a few old Needlecraft magazines from the 30's that were once my Grandmas, and a couple Playbills from the late 40's I picked up antiquing a few years ago.
Mixing 1 part glue and 2 parts water, I made my own decoupage solution.
After ripping pages out of the magazines, I started by painting some glue mixture on the form. Next, I took the pieces of paper, dipped them in the glue mixture until they were saturated, removed the excess (so it didn't get so drippy), and began layering the pieces on the form.
Once I had on a good base layer, I added some ads that I liked and wanted to remain visible. Another layer of glue was brushed on to seal everything together.
Here she is, in all her glory!
So happy that my "to do" list is one project shorter - at least for now anyways....ha!

11 comments:

Karen Valentine said...

It's wonderful! I love scratching things off my to-do list too!!!
xo,
Karen

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

It is fantastic and I know firsthand that is a messy job...but worth the effort!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing some catching up this morning and I can see that you've been having way too much fun while I've been a way. The hanger covers, hanky pillows, this dress form and that crib settee - Oh, My! It's all so wonderful. I happen to have a very, very old baby crib out 'there' somewhere...gives me an idea! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my...the felt roses scarf is my fave!!

Monica said...

Really wonderful! I have a dress form to be revamped, and I was looking for inspiration. Thanks for this idea!
Monica.

Cathie said...

Beautiful! Did you make that scarf as well? I love it so much!!!

Mrs4444 said...

Both are beautiful! :)

HOLLY said...

That is super cool. But how do you make the amazing scarf??

Mary Charles said...

Love your scarves and the dress form makeover :)

Anonymous said...

Love the old magazines! I would have used copies instead of the originals!

LindaLou said...

Love the form, but that scarf is to die for!