Monday, December 17, 2007

Everyone Gets Their Favorites

There are so many things I love about Christmas time. Cooking and baking are definitely high on the list! I enjoy making family favorites. A beautiful array of cookies that includes "must haves". One of my brothers loves Toasted Almond Butter Crunch and the other loves Krumkake (more on that tomorrow), and I can't forget about my brother-in-law who really likes Swedish Cream Wafers.
Thought I'd share the recipe for Toasted Almond Butter Crunch.
You'll need: 1 1/3 C toasted chopped almonds spread out on a large foil lined baking sheet.
*Save out some chopped almonds to use later.

Butter sides of a heavy duty large saucepan. Add 1 pound melted butter, 2 C sugar, 2 TBSP light corn syrup and 6 TBSP water. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling.
Clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook stirring constantly until temp reaches 290 degrees (usually about 15 minutes).

Watch carefully! Keep stirring cuz you don't want it to scorch.

Pour into prepared pan, let stand while you melt 2 - 12 0z packages of semi-sweet chocolate.

Spread the chocolate over toffee mixture.

Sprinkle with remaining chopped almonds.

Let cool until chocolate hardens, then break up into bite size pieces.

Enjoy!







2 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Mmmm yummy. That looks delicious. Can you make it without using a thermometer?
Alison

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

My friend and I used to make this together when we were teenagers. We would take turns stirring! :)
I might have to make some this year; it's been awhile! It is GOOD!!