Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Summer Squash

LeAnn, who lives next door to us at the beach, puts out a basket near the road each summer, and keeps it filled with the abundance of summer squash that she has grown in her garden. Many people who live along the beach partake - me included!
Zucchini is one of my most favorite vegetable. The the way I love to eat it - sauteed with onion in a little butter and salt and pepper to taste - the way my mom has always made it. Mmmm
Usually I make zucchini bread, but this year I decided to make brownies instead. They sure turned out yummy! The recipe I used, didn't include eggs.... here's what I used 2 cups grated zucchini, 1/2 oil, 1 1/2 c sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, and 1 1/2 tsp baking soda. Oh, they are so moist and delicious!
Perfect after school snack for this first graders first day, wouldn't you say?

7 comments:

Connie said...

Doesn't the fact that it has to be given away alert most people to the fact that it isn't much desired, sugar?!?! I must admit though that your photo of it sauteed does look scrumptious! Darling little chickee also, honey!
xoxo,
Connie

krys kirkpatrick said...

My neighbor is also growing squash. I had a big green round...something roll past his bushes and into my yard. I'm not sure what kind of squash, but it makes a great display with the nasturtiums , I also found growing into my yard. Thanks, neighbor!

Lori said...

Karoline
Shes so precious! Lori

KatCollects said...

That is so nice for her to put out things from her garden to share. I have never cooked zuchinni that way but it looks really good. I love fried yellow squash, yum.
Kathy

Hope Ellington said...

Love the picture of your sweetie on her first day. Brownies look scrumptous too.
Blessings~Hope

Its So Very Cheri said...

Yummy, I love to grill yellow and green squash with onions and potatoes on the grill.

My blog has just been growing like a crazy weed and I haven't been able to get by for as many visits. I miss all my blog friends.
Come for a visit and see both of my new parties for the week. They are up every week and I hope you will participate.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

colimachia said...

Can I please tell you that I have a fridge full of squash and was running out of ideas! I am so going to try those brownies!! Thank you for the great idea, yum :)