Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Comfort Food

My mom makes the best rice pudding. It used to be, that she only made it during Christmas time since it's one of our Scandinavian traditions.
After each of my girls were born, she would bring over a big batch for me to enjoy. It is my comfort food. Sydney particularly loves it too. I tell her it's because that's all I ever ate while I was nursing her... hee hee
It really is too good just to have a Christmas time, so I make it often. Since Sydney has been home sick this week she needed some cheering up. I knew just the thing - rice pudding! Oh boy, did her eyes lit up when she saw what was baking. Guess I'll be making more tomorrow too...
Mom's Rice Pudding
Cook 1/2 Cup rice with 1 Cup water
Scaled 2 Cups milk
Beat 3 eggs with 3/4 Cups sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract
Mix together scaled milk with egg mixture a little at a time (so the eggs don't scramble).
Add the rice when slightly cooled.
Pour into a small casserole dish, sprinkle with ground nutmeg. Bake in a hot water bath at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes

2 comments:

sue w said...

your right, your mom's rice pudding is mighty tasty! I always looked forward to it at the church smorgasbord. Rice pudding is also one of my fav comfort foods, my mom used to make it just for me (at least I always thought it was just for me). Just thinking about it makes me want some, I'll guess I'll have to make some soon.

Lori said...

Oh Karoline Mounds cupcake and now rice pudding!! I'll never fir through the door!!! Lori